Veterinary Interventional Radiology
AMCS is excited to announce our development of an Interventional Radiology (IR) service as part of our already established Internal Medicine Department!
Interventional Radiology (IR) involves the use of contemporary imaging modalities (CT scans, fluoroscopy, ultrasonography) to gain access to different structures of the pet’s body for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.
IR can be applied to any body system in patients of all sizes. Some techniques, such as chemoembolization of tumors or palliative stenting for malignant obstructions, offer treatment options for patients with various conditions that may not be amenable to standard therapies. IR procedures are generally associated with better patient outcomes, minimal anesthesia time and reduced hospital stays.
AMCS utilizes Interventional Radiology, often in conjunction with endoscopy, to treat and diagnose a wide variety of issues including:
- Chemoembolization of certain non-resectable neoplasias (hepatic, prostatic)
- Laser ablation of certain bladder tumors
- Urethral and ureteral stenting and ballooning for malignancies
- Tracheal stenting for malignancies
- Intra-arterial chemotherapy delivery for TCC of bladder, urethra
- Urethral and ureteral stenting and ballooning for malignancies, strictures, obstructions, or infections
- Diagnostic and therapeutic cystoscopy
- Endoscopic sclerotherapy for idiopathic renal hematuria in dogs
- Hydraulic occluder placement and maintenance for refractory incontinence
- Ectopic ureter ablation: available in both males and females
- Laser ablation of persistent mesonephric remnant or hymens, and of certain bladder tumors
- SUB (subcutaneous ureteral bypass)
- PCCL (percutaneous cystolithotomy) for bladder stone removal
- Esophageal and colonic stenting for neoplasia/strictures
- Polypectomy (esophageal, gastric, and colonic)
- Esophageal dilation
- PEG tube placement
- Chemoembolization of non-resectable hepatic neoplasia
- Tracheal stenting
- Endoscopic tracheal tumor removal
- Bronchial/tracheal foreign body retrieval
- Nasopharyngeal stenting
- Nasopharyngeal balloon dilation
If you have a patient who you think would benefit from our IR service, please do not hesitate to call to discuss the case with Dr. Donovan.