In the late morning of February 1st, 2023, a dryer fire broke out at a doggie daycare facility on Lake City Way in Seattle. Fortunately, all the dogs and employees were successfully evacuated from the building and first responders, Seattle Animal Control, and good Samaritans were able to help contain them. Firefighters provided oxygen to the most critical dogs and transported them to our hospital for smoke inhalation.
Smoke inhalation injuries can occur with exposure to smoke in large or small quantities. Fires produce a variety of damaging substances, each of which can affect a pet’s airways, lungs, and overall well-being. These irritants can trigger airway inflammation and constriction, as well as other lung damage. The irritants found in smoke may vary, depending on the substances that are being burned. Also, the heat contained within smoke can lead to burns within the airways and lungs, triggering severe swelling and inflammation.
One of the most critical dogs that we saw was Nova, a very sweet 10-year-old Great Pyrenees. Nova was a rescue from Big Dog Rescue Project. She had been surrendered by a 92-year-old woman who had her from a puppy, but circumstances changed, and she could not care for Nova anymore. Her forever family had reached out about a different dog, but it turned out he had been adopted; however, they had just gotten Nova and sent her info along. It felt like it was meant to be and she has been part of their family since.